Monday, 11 February 2008

Ikea envy

It’s not unusual to detect design bloggers having a bit of an eye-roll about Ikea. Europeans and Statesiders seem to find the ubiquitous accessibility of the Scandinavian megastore a little ho-hum at times.

But next time you disdain the flatpack, do spare us a thought down here at the tip of Africa - we don't have a single Ikea store on our entire continent!

So, while you can, any time you like, just hop off and pick up fabric like this... ...and make it up into gorgeous things like this...

We have to just look on enviously. Sniff.


Thanks to Design*Sponge for the link to Elizabeth Dunker's beautiful apartment, and to Zee Homebug for the skinny on the Pernilla fabric.

4 comments:

janine de waal said...

Ja, I know EXACTLY what you are speaking about! One of the highlights for me visiting Australia, in July, will be my day-trip to IKEA!!! I have allready started compiling my shopping list! = )

Anonymous said...

Nope, don't miss Ikea at all - they do have a couple of nice things but unfortunately for everything else, you get what you pay for....They do not have enough staff [which keeps their costs low and makes for unpleasant shopping - no-one to help on shop floor and long queues to pay] And how many times have I brought something home only to discover a vital piece missing.....give me Mr Price anyday

Anonymous said...

trust me not as great as it seems. the colors have not depth too neon in person - ex pat in LA. Miss the riempie stools

Heather Moore said...

Thanks for the interesting comments! You made me feel just a little less deprived!