Wednesday, 28 May 2008

Biblioteque on Kloof

Cape Town based Elle Decoration features editor, Louise McCann blogs for us this week.


Looking for interesting books I popped into Biblioteq, a fantastic boutique book store on Cape Town's Kloof Street. Owner Rotem Shachar lived in New York for years and brought a taste of the Big Apple back to the Mother city when she opened Biblioteque a year ago. It’s a great store – very styloosh with a discerning stock of books.



To a background sound track of 'The Sound of Music' (one of the first movies I ever watched) I sat on the window seat and paged through a delicious pile of books on art, design, architecture and photography.



The latest Tord Boontje book had just cleared customs when I arrived… It’s satisfyingly big and heavy and is a visual and wordy run through his prolifically creative career. The cover, wrapped in a sheer gauzy fabric, is a simple touch of genius.




These are some of my favourite pages in the book. I love studio shots as I love to see the heart of the matter.




And then oudoors - a skeletal forest, a swing, birdsong… does this ‘creeper-covered’ couch not call your name?


No comments: